“A model of how a small institution can draw visitors through exciting programming.” - Wall Street Journal
The American Swedish Institute is a vibrant arts and cultural organization that engages locally and connects globally. With a campus including the historic Turnblad Mansion and the Nelson Cultural Center, ASI uses its resources to be a valuable community asset and integral partner.
"Thank you for all you do at the American Swedish Institute. You spark and satisfy my curiosity; and help me be a better person." - Karen Bieschke, ASI Member
The American Swedish Institute is a gathering place for all people to share experiences around themes of culture, migration, the environment and the arts, informed by enduring links to Sweden.
The American Swedish Institute will be a leading museum and cultural center of international reputation which invites all people to gather to connect their pasts to their shared future, to understand their heritage in relation to others, and to discover their role as neighbors and global citizens. Vibrant, ongoing ties to Sweden will illuminate and inspire all these endeavors.
The American Swedish Institute is committed to:
- Stewardship: We embrace the legacy of Stewardship given to us in the Turnblad Mansion, our collections and our diverse community.
- Hospitality: We invest in our role as a welcoming place for all people and develop authentic relationships with communities local, national and international.
- Learning: We create transformational learning experiences by providing a platform for reflection, participation, collaboration and the exchange of ideas.
- Innovation: We create beautiful spaces, innovative programs and outstanding services, in the entrepreneurial spirit of Swan J. Turnblad.
- Sustainability: We incorporate values of social responsibility into our programs, facilities and operations that sustain the well-being of our organization, community and the environment.