The ASI Family Gallery encourages our youngest visitors to play, touch, read and learn! Family Gallery topics change every year. The current exhibition, Water, sky and me, is inspired by Swedish illustrator Stina Wirsén's colorful artwork. The Family Gallery is open for private playdates by reservation only, and open to the public on Thursday evenings. Find all of the details here.
Strollers are welcome at ASI, although space is often tight in the historic Turnblad Mansion. The use of strollers may also be restricted in special exhibition galleries or because of high visitor volume. Over-sized strollers, including jogging strollers and side-by-side strollers, must be left outside the Turnblad Mansion. For your convenience, umbrella strollers are available to check out at the ASI front desk with an ID.
Family / all-gender restrooms and changing stations are located at the Lower Level of the Turnblad Mansion and on the 1st floor of NCC near FIKA. All are welcome to use the restroom of their choice.
FIKA, ASI's award-winning café, offers family-friendly meals and was named "Best Place to Eat With Your Kids in Minneapolis." Food and drink are not permitted in the historic Turnblad Mansion or the Osher Gallery.
Write to Tomte
Temporarily removed during COVID-19. Not every house has a Tomte, but the Turnblad Mansion does! Write Tomte a note or ask him a question. His mailbox is located in the Turnblad Mansion's third floor turret.
Nursing & Comfort
You are welcome to nurse your child wherever you’re most comfortable. There is a Quiet Room on the lower level of the mansion for those looking for privacy or a comfortable place to rest.
Due to concerns surrounding COVID, the high-touch playcart is currently unavailable. Find something new and surprising while exploring the outdoor spaces at ASI. Our outdoor playcart gives ASI's youngest visitors the tools enrich their visit. Explore the “high-up places” using binoculars, dance with scarves, or play a game of kubb on the lawn. Outdoor Playcart Season runs April-September (weather permitting)!
ASI & COVID-19
During any visit, you’ll notice we’ve made some changes, so thank you in advance for reading all signs and following the new Visitor Playbook which includes:
- We're open new hours! Thursdays from 10 a.m. to 8 p.m. and Fridays through Sundays from 10 a.m - 4 p.m.
- Beginning May 28, advanced museum admission is no longer required and walk-up admission will be available (this does not apply to the Family Gallery). You still have the option of reserving admission ahead of time if you choose by heading to reservation page here.
- Stay home if you are not feeling well for any reason. We are always happy to reschedule or refund your admission.
- Face-coverings are required in all indoor spaces. Please don't forget to cover your nose and put it on before you enter the building. Those without face coverings will be asked to visit another time.
- Clean your hands before you arrive and during your visit. We have hand sanitizer throughout the building.
- Check in with staff when you arrive for any reason!