ASI is a fun and welcoming place for families to explore traditions, immigration, handcraft and art. Be sure to visit the Youth & Family page for information about special programs and resources tailored for children, youth and families.
ASI & COVID-19
During any visit, you’ll notice we’ve made some changes, so thank you in advance for reading all signs and following the new Visitor Playbook which includes:
- We're open new hours! Thursday - Sunday, 10 a.m - 4 p.m.
- Reserve and pay for museum admission before you arrive - even for members. Head to the reservation page here to sign up for a time. Do not arrive early for your ticket time. Arrive within the 30-minute window listed on your email confirmation.
- Stay home if you are not feeling well for any reason. we are always happy to reschedule or refund your admission.
- Face-coverings are required. Wear one during your entire visit. Please don't forget to cover your nose and put it on before you enter the building. Those without face coverings will be asked to visit another time.
- Clean your hands before you arrive and during your visit. We have hand sanitizer throughout the building.
- Check0in with staff before you begin. There are capacity restrictions across campus and one-way traffic flows visitors need to follow.
- Stay 6-feet away from others who are not in your group. Only enter empty elevators or empty rooms in the mansion. Wait for the group ahead of you to finish.
Strollers are welcome at ASI, although space is often tight in the historic Turnblad Mansion. The use of strollers may also be restricted in special exhibition galleries or because of high visitor volume.
Over-sized strollers, including jogging strollers and side-by-side strollers, must be left outside the Turnblad Mansion. For your convenience, umbrella strollers are available to check out at the ASI front desk with an ID.
Family / all-gender restrooms and changing stations are located at the Lower Level of the Turnblad Mansion and on the 1st floor of NCC near the café. All are welcome to use the restroom of their choice.
FIKA, ASI's award-winning café, offers family-friendly meals and was named "Best Place to Eat With Your Kids in Minneapolis." Food and drink are not permitted in the historic Turnblad Mansion or the Osher Gallery.
Please read about FIKA's new reservation system and limited capacity during COVID-19 here.
Write to Tomte
Temporarily removed during COVID-19. Not every house has a Tomte, but the Turnblad Mansion does! Write Tomte a note or ask him a question. His mailbox is located in the Turnblad Mansion's third floor turret.
Nursing & Comfort
You are welcome to nurse your child wherever you’re most comfortable. There is a Quiet Room on the lower level of the mansion for those looking for privacy or a comfortable place to rest.
Family Gallery and Guides
Due to concerns surrounding COVID, the high-touch ASI Family Gallery is currently closed. The ASI Family Gallery encourages our youngest visitors to play, touch, read and learn! Family gallery topics change every year.
Due to concerns surrounding COVID, the high-touch playcart is currently unavailable. Find something new and surprising while exploring the outdoor spaces at ASI. Our outdoor playcart gives ASI's youngest visitors the tools enrich their visit. Explore the “high-up places” using binoculars, dance with scarves, or play a game of kubb on the lawn. Outdoor Playcart Season runs April-September (weather permitting)!